Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Fingernails on a Chalkboard

So a friend gave me a book because I was going through a rough time and she couldn’t find a Judy Moody book (it’s a long story). Anyways, I read the book last night as my husband smoked his cigar and I was distraught. You see, I was not an English major, but I did grow up with a mother (also a teacher) who was constantly correcting my grammar. As I grew, my vocabulary and grammar grew…causing me to strongly dislike hearing words used incorrectly…Ask my husband who I correct from time to time (the habit is not pretty!)…

So my dilemma: How do I deal with books that use improper grammar just for a character? I mentioned it to the friend who had given me the book and she laughed and told me to open my imagination. I’m all for creativity, but reading words so obviously incorrect is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Do I want my children learning to read from books that use incorrect language, even though it will probably be how they are talking at the time?

Just some thoughts…Let me know yours!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home