Saturday, July 08, 2006

Growing Up On Ann M. Martin

I grew up on the Baby-Sitters Club series. Although the series is not in print anymore, you can find the books by Ann M. Martin at used bookstores. These books began my reading journey and I’ve not been able to stop! Ann Martin did not stop writing at the finale of the Baby-Sitters Club, instead she joined up with Paula Danziger to write two selections which I loved, as well as a solo projects (many are in hard cover and have not yet made it to paperback).

P.S. Longer Letter Later
Snail Mail No More
I was intrigued by these books because as a child I had several pen pals. I was encouraged to write letters with the knowledge that once my letter was in the mail, another letter would be on its way to me. I’ve kept in touch with these friends, although not as often now, and definitely not by snail mail (the sequel deals with the exciting addition of Email and Instant Messenger to the postal world).

The books deal with two girls who have been separated by situations beyond their control (one family moves away from the other). I love this book and its sequel because not only does it show the friendship between the two girls as it grows and changes, but it also adds the complexity of new friends, boyfriends, and the challenges of family dynamics. One family struggles to hold itself together; the parents are deciding whether or not to divorce; kids are trying to find themselves in the midst of the family turmoil…The other family is increasing in size causing the only daughter to question her parents loyalties to her as well as where she will fit into the family once the new addition arrives.

I think these are great books to read together as a family because they deal with so situations that might be difficult for kids to talk to adults about...fears and concerns that they might not want to share for fear that parents (or other adults) might not understand. Use these books as a starting point to talk to kids about their feelings of divorce, moving, new family members, etc.

Some other Ann M. Martin books I love and think are great family reads!
A Corner of the Universe
Ten Kids, No Pets
Eleven Kids, One Summer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home